Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Day of the Owlbear Started it All

Last week I had a glorious vacation and scored a ton of gaming stuff. To start off I got an email from Alex that I had a $15 voucher to Otherworld miniatures and I should contact Richard Scott (this is still left over goodness from the one page dungeon contest). I thought I'd just won the Rune Dice, but he said I had also won the voucher. So I ordered the very cool owlbear. Then I went to the post office and my third in the Kingmaker series was there, The Varhold Vanishing. A lich cyclops anyone? Great start to my vacation wouldn't you say?

Then I went to a game store I only get to visit once in a while and bought copies of Pathfinder's Monsters Revisited (This was the book my wife read while I shopped. She didn't know what a bugbear was and started reading more. That was the night I had her go through a few scenarios), I got the Gamemastery Treasure Chest and the box set of Tunnels and Trolls. The manager threw in a starter deck of the Batman Trading card game. Nice looking cards, they were free, but have no idea what to do with them.

Then when I thought I'd scored plenty I got a 40% coupon from Borders along with a $5 coupon off any item over $20. Well Borders has 4th edition D&D and that's pretty much it, but I'd been looking at the 2 DM Guide. Now hold on. Stop throwing things. It is really a pretty decent book. There are some stat blocks (which will make me put a book back on a shelf quicker that the plague) but, it focuses more on the different philosophies about build and adventure and building encounters. So far I've enjoyed it. That said I would have never bought it for the sticker price of $35. I got it for $16 something once all my coupons were totaled.

So as you can see I've been up to my eyeballs with new gaming stuff. Plus, Rob (Bat in the Attic) wanted to try out Runequest and last night we had an honest to goodness sit down around the table, roll real dice game with Dwayne who is in between moves. In his blog he goes into detail about what happened, but man that is one bloody game. Body parts were everywhere. It was a blast, but I doubt we will use that system again. Initially our enemies were supposed to be baboons and ducks. Really? Rob changed them into goblins and halflings.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my wife's blog. You made her day and it won't be the last you hear from her. We have standing plans to buy her, her own set of dice. Something preferably in an orange, yellow or pink. She is thinking of new gruesome recipes to use in game and I plan to use them somehow.

5 comments:

  1. http://chessex.com/Dice/Frosted/Pink.htm

    http://chessex.com/Dice/Borealis%20Dice/27404.htm

    I got my goddaughter the Borealis set. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My wife has the frosted blue chessex. Nothing like feeling pretty while killing orcs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, ducks are a mainstay of Glorantha. A tribe of humans who offended some god and were cursed. All of their descendants are ducks as well. Ducks exist in my Wilderlands as well. Of course, my firends are all like, "Ducks? Really?" as well, but it's a nostalgic, old-school feel for me (JG did a couple of adventures for RQ featuring ducks (Duck Tower and Duck Pond, iirc).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an awesome day. Please sign me up for one of those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Alex and Ken - This is Tim's wife.

    Thanks for the dice information. I agree - there's nothing like feeling pretty while killing orcs and with any luck, a few zombies too.

    I clicked on the page you sent - loved the frosted. Thanks again

    :-)

    ReplyDelete