Friday, June 14, 2013

Free RPG Day and a Flashback

 

Free RPG Day is tomorrow.  With Origins and 3E going on I think it's getting overshadowed by these big boys.  I will always have an appreciation for this day because it was one of the events that directly affected me into exploring my old games again.  It looks like two of our local stores are participating.  The one store mainly sells MtG cards and  tons of weird anime shit, but they've got dice and host all kind of games.  Then the regular store I go to is participating again.  That's the store I have problems with.  I'll repost what happen two years ago. 

I'll only be allowed to select one item from the one store because I'm not a member.  *shrug*  I rarely go there much.  Too much of a battle.  So I'm thinking I'll probably be able to get one item from each.  My first choice is Hall of Bones from Frog God Games.  Second choice is I'll pick up Better Than Any Man from LotFP.  I think I have two copies of We Be Goblins!  They've been giving that one out for a couple of years I think.  Of course what I would really love to score the d6 Free RPG Day commemorative die.  And I'm always curious about the Tunnels and Trolls offering. 

If you can only get one thing tomorrow which one would it be?

and now you hear the harp music accompanied by the scene going all wiggly and fading out as we go back in time two years ago for RPG Day when I encounter the gaming guy.  And I don't remember what was going on with the blogs at the time.  Must have been some nonsense firestorm.

So here it is Free RPG Day, I was not feeling all that enthusiastic about it to begin with, but damn it I wasn't going to miss it.  I wanted to get my commemorative d6.  And who knows I might actually meet a cool gamer or two.  So into the game store I go (I won't mention the name because I am not going to be too nice here in a few) and at the counter is the gaming guy.  This store is mainly a book store, but it has a decent gaming section and he is in charge of it.  This gaming guy is about as irritating as they come.  He's one of those I have an opinion on everything especially about the things I don't know about.  If you've been to the moon, he's been there twice.

He's talking to two other gamers.  "Goodman Games DCC is crap.  He's trying to be all 'old school'"  He did that little finger quote thing when he said old school.  "The OSR is such lame shit."

Ya know, I try to be a nice guy.  I really do, but sometimes things just don't work out.  So I ask gamer guy, "Have you ever played any of the old school games or the clones?"

Without a beat "No.  Don't see the point.  If they were any good WotC would still be publishing them."

Now there are so many things wrong with that statement I stood there for a second hoping he would laugh or give me the gotcha sign or something.  Nope.  Dead serious.  Now, like this recent fray on the blogs, I knew speaking with gamer guy would be like going into a deep mineshaft without a lantern.  No chance of changing his mind.  So instead I addressed the two gamers.

"If you guys are interested at all in playing some old school style gaming you can download the rules for free.  *gave them S&W, LL, and Osric were the ones I could remember*  There is a game just south of here we play twice a month, your welcome to join in any time you feel like it.  It's a great time.  If you don't like it it won't cost ya a thing."  Also gave them my email if they had any questions.

The two guys were interested, gave them some gaming blogs to read.  I am not sure if that was the best thing considering the rants of late.  The gamer guy actually tried to grab the paper I gave them.  WTF  Luckily the goof has the dexterity of a dog turd and nearly fell down.  The two other guys laughed at him and left.  Said they would give it a look.

So now I am alone with gamer guy.  He's pissed and I still didn't get to pick any of my free stuff yet.  This was going to go well.  I am thinking, I'm going to get arrested today.  And to tell you the truth, I was in a mood where I was okay with that. 

Fast forward ten minutes after looking at some other gaming stuff.  I ended up buying Pazio's Misfit Monsters.  They always do a great job.  Luckily for me and my arrest record gamer guy's shift was over and the owner lady took over.  I didn't say anything about what happened to the owner because the gamer guy is her nephew.  I ended up getting the Dragon Age quick start and Goodman Games DCC.  What I failed to get. and one of the main things I wanted was a commemorative d6 for this year's Free RPG day.  I'd gotten one for the past four years. 

3 comments:

  1. "No. Don't see the point. If they were any good WotC would still be publishing them."

    Ahh, gotta love the game shop goons. Fucking geniuses to a man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder what he thinks about the reprints... o_Ô

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clearly, he'll think they're wonderful... and will deny ever having said otherwise!

      Delete