Monday, January 5, 2015

Random Monday Map 3


Hey, Maps are about all I can handle on Mondays.  I seem to be drawing them a lot these days.  I thought I would try a little different style this time.  Some of it I think worked, some of it not so much.  I tried to emulate (had to make sure I used the right word, didn't want someone think I set myself on fire...immolate...two total different things that sound a lot a like) master map makers like +MonkeyBlood Design, +Dyson Logos and +matt jackson.  They are able to convey depth and texture using black pens of varying depth, width and shading.

Whisk bought my first set of Micron Pens for Christmas.  I lined them up and studied their maps a bit.  When to use the thicker pens compared to the thin pens.  I think I have a better grasp on it.  This is my clumsy attempt.

Forest: I like over all.  Gave them more texture and I like the different between the border where I used the .

Rocks: meh.  Usually when I do these in color I do a brown bade around them to make them pop.  I tried to draw piles of rocks.  Then tried to add a little texture to them, but it turned out like suck.

Creek: I think it looks okay.  A few little rocks in the water.  I would like to develop a better way to draw creek/river banks.  I used the hashes to show difference in the level, while I like it for hills I would like to find something different for the banks.

House: Okay, Need to work on the rooftop.  I like where its going though.

Cave:  I added the feature of the wall depth in the rooms and along the outside.  I think it works.  Need to give a little time.  I do like the stippling (which I just discovered was not stimpling). 

The hardest part about drawing the map is not reaching for my colored pencils!  It was painful.

12 comments:

  1. I love maps, especially creating them myself. I find it helps transport me to the moment and the scene where I want my players to be and the possibilities that (potentially) are on offer.

    I like your Monday map. If I could offer one suggestion though: you've place a slightly forced perspective on the cave system walls, but omitted the same perspective for the house.

    By adding that perspective to the house I think it will left the map and bring it together. Sometimes it is the little things that, when missing, make the thing complete when added.

    Enjoy the day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny you should mention the shading of the house, because I had it there, but for some reason took it out.

      Delete
  2. I appreciate the maps. I am not the best mapper so when someone else is willing to do the work I take advantage of it. Nice 3d look to the caves, the bridge and water look cool. The forests are a bit broccoli and the boulders have a kind of potato look. Not that I'm complaining, it's just that you are making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it. There is a certain pragmatic quality to a "black-line-only" map in that if people want to print it, it's very economical to do so. I don't know how many people still print maps nowadays, but I still do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris. I think about that when I do my color maps.

      Delete
  4. Oh, no, Tim - I think you misunderstood. I mean the building should have a perspective that shows its walls to a degree. Shadows would be an extra bonus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotcha. So the inside guts of the building....hmm hadn't thought about doing it that way.

      Delete
    2. Ah, I got you, now I know where I went wrong - I meant the outer walls as perspective. My apologies, I sometimes write less whilst thinking more - if that makes sense?

      So, assuming the top of your map is north, then as a viewer we'd get to see the southern and eastern walls as part of the perspective.

      Delete
    3. PS: but I do like your idea of showing the guts of the building :)

      Delete